The Ohio Beta chapter of Pi Beta Phi was founded in April of 1894. Charter member, Agnes Chalmers, helped to bring the Ohio Beta chapter to life and therefor, the first initiation for Ohio Beta was held in her home. Agnes was accompanied by May Copeland (Drybread-Reynolds), Michigan Alpha, with assistance from Ohio Alpha and the following charter members: Anna Houston Blackiston (Powell), Mona Liggett Fay (Gee), Agnes Florida Chalmers, May Baxter Porter (Miseldine), Gertrude Plimmer (Sargent) and Ruth Houseman (Belknap).
Today, the Ohio Beta chapter houses is one of the largest sorority houses on campus with 4 singles, 19 doubles and 6 triples. The house is equipped with a formal living room, study room, a large formal dining room as well as a snack kitchen. The six pillars in the front of the house symbolize Pi Phi's 6 core values: integrity, lifelong commitment, honor and respect, personal and intellectial growth, philanthropic service to others and sincere friendship. Originally, the house was the servants quarters for the Governer's Mansion located across the street. The Governer's Mansion is now home to the men of Kappa Sigma. The two homes were connected through underground tunnels that have since been closed. Historical documents show that the tunnels were previously used in the underground railroad.
The Ohio Beta chapter house is home to a tremendous amount of history and each year 60 women fill the house and create their own memories that last a life time.
- Abbey Cleland, writer
- Sally Huber, co-creator of Ohio State mascot Brutus Buckeye
- Barbie Tootle, a known leader is Greek life affairs who has a room in the Ohio Union named in her honor. Barbie is an acclaimed writer and public speaker who started a non profit with a focus on literacy.
- Liz Adams, fashion and lifestyle blogger in Chicago